Lavender
Lavender ..... what would that bring to your mind? For me......the word alone brings to my mind a beautiful perfume, fields of blue, purple rows rolling with the landscape. A perfume, a delicate flower, sachets, bath bubbles, an essential oil that I burn at night when I try to relax and sleep, and of all, lavender honey, lavender tea, lavender ice-cream...
Well, my love for Lavender started a few weeks ago as I was standing in front of an open house that has a bush of Lavender in the front yard that was just blooming. It was so beautiful, so soft and so fragrant. I think it was a love at first sight. Hence, I had decided I want to grow some lavender on my own. Since then, I have acquired 3 pots of English Lavender which is the most fragrant of all Lavenders. I have also acquired various types of herbs, ie. Dill, Basil, Thyme and I'm planning to grow some mint......
Well, for the love of Lavender, I would like to share a few recipes with all of you.
Lavender Lemonade
5 cups water
1½ cups sugar
12 stems of fresh lavender
2¼ cups lemon juice
Boil 2 ½ cups of water with the sugar. Add the lavender stems and remove from heat. Place on the lid and let cool. When cool, add 2 ½ cups of water and the lemon juice. Strain out the lavender. Serve the lavender lemonade with crushed ice and garnish with lavender blossoms. Serves 8.
Lavender Shortbread
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 Tbsp. dried lavender flowers
1 cup self-rising flour
Cream butter and sugar; add egg. Mix in lavender and flour. Place small heaps on greased cookie sheet and bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes or till golden brown in color.
Lavender Ice Cream - Glaco a la lavando (For 12)
1/2 liter (1 pint) milk
1/2 liter (1 pint) cream
12 to 15 grams (1/2 oz) lavender grains
4 egg yolks
225 grams (1 1/4 cups) sugar
1/2 cup lavender honey
Put the milk and cream with the lavender grains in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, cool down in a ice water bath, and let infuse for up to 12 hours in the refrigerator. The next day, strain the lavender grains from the milk and warm it. Apart, blend the sugar, the egg yolks and the honey separate bowl, then slowly pour in the warmed milk and cream, whisking as you do so. Pour this mixture back into a double boiler and heat gently, stir till thickened (about 10 minutes). Remove from the flame and chill in an ice water bath (whisk while you do this) and then put it in the refrigerator to fully chill -- for 5-6 hours or overnight. Pour your chilled mixture into an ice cream machine. Follow the directions of your machine. Put into the freezer.
Enjoy!
Well, my love for Lavender started a few weeks ago as I was standing in front of an open house that has a bush of Lavender in the front yard that was just blooming. It was so beautiful, so soft and so fragrant. I think it was a love at first sight. Hence, I had decided I want to grow some lavender on my own. Since then, I have acquired 3 pots of English Lavender which is the most fragrant of all Lavenders. I have also acquired various types of herbs, ie. Dill, Basil, Thyme and I'm planning to grow some mint......
Well, for the love of Lavender, I would like to share a few recipes with all of you.
Lavender Lemonade
5 cups water
1½ cups sugar
12 stems of fresh lavender
2¼ cups lemon juice
Boil 2 ½ cups of water with the sugar. Add the lavender stems and remove from heat. Place on the lid and let cool. When cool, add 2 ½ cups of water and the lemon juice. Strain out the lavender. Serve the lavender lemonade with crushed ice and garnish with lavender blossoms. Serves 8.
Lavender Shortbread
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 Tbsp. dried lavender flowers
1 cup self-rising flour
Cream butter and sugar; add egg. Mix in lavender and flour. Place small heaps on greased cookie sheet and bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes or till golden brown in color.
Lavender Ice Cream - Glaco a la lavando (For 12)
1/2 liter (1 pint) milk
1/2 liter (1 pint) cream
12 to 15 grams (1/2 oz) lavender grains
4 egg yolks
225 grams (1 1/4 cups) sugar
1/2 cup lavender honey
Put the milk and cream with the lavender grains in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, cool down in a ice water bath, and let infuse for up to 12 hours in the refrigerator. The next day, strain the lavender grains from the milk and warm it. Apart, blend the sugar, the egg yolks and the honey separate bowl, then slowly pour in the warmed milk and cream, whisking as you do so. Pour this mixture back into a double boiler and heat gently, stir till thickened (about 10 minutes). Remove from the flame and chill in an ice water bath (whisk while you do this) and then put it in the refrigerator to fully chill -- for 5-6 hours or overnight. Pour your chilled mixture into an ice cream machine. Follow the directions of your machine. Put into the freezer.
Enjoy!


4 Comments:
Hi!Margret.
I had planted several pots of lavender in the garden, but all of them withered becouse of hot, humid weather. I think your lavender will grow well in Vancouver's bracing air. Enjoy freshscent days!
Thank you so much, Fukiyo. I'm very very excited about my new found hobby as well. Although, my lavender has not bloomed yet, but I really look forward to it.
Margaret, oh Margaret, where have you been? I haven't seen an update in so long and am wondering how you are doing! Hope you have an update soon!
Hey, Jess, I miss you very much. I heard news about you...."heeheee". I'm so happy for you. Weather in Toronto must be getting cold now, eh?
Post a Comment
<< Home