Shanghai



Shanghai, it's an amazing city. Shanghai has had numerous name tags attached to it throughout the past century, ie. "Paris of the Orient" or the "Pearl Of China". Although, they are all very descriptive names of Shanghai, you really have to be there to feel it, to experience it, to smell it and to taste it. In fact, you have to be there during day time, during night time, during spring, autumn and winter (well, summer is just a bit too hot for my taste, so I'm skipping that). But, their day time and their night time is like a whole different world. It's such a magical and romantic city. It's dynamic, yet quiet and peaceful. It's extremely modern, yet rich in history and culture. What fasinates me more is their architecture design throughout the city, especially the financial core, and the HUANG PU River.
Shanghai was once divided up into different "Concessions" or districts which has left its landmarks and charmings such as Bund, which was home to the "British Public Park" , The Japanese and the French Concessions. The French quarter is a particularly charming district to wander. There are many former residences/mansion to look at and discover something about old Shanghai and the people who lived here. In my opinion, Old Shanghai is my favourite. I love the Old Shanghai music, their fashion, their design in restaurants and in lounges and just pretty much everything about it. It was very sophisticated and romantic.
I have never been to Shanghai before and I took my first trip there in May 2005. The main purpose of the trip is to meet my brother, Jack. Although, he is not really blood related, he is my father's "adopted son", therefore, I call him "Ge Ge" which is a Mandarin pronouciation for "Older Brother". He is a successful business man in Shanghai. In addition, he is a very intellectual person with in-depth knowledge about Chinese History, Culture, Geography, Traditions and Customs. He is proud of his own culture and ancestory. He is also a very good shopping bargainer and has extremely good fashion taste (ie. for girl fashions - shoes, dress, jackets, purse and fragrance). So, let just say, I got a lot of good deals on Prada, London Burberry, Toti, Fendi, Ralph Lauren...I have learnt so much from him. I am so glad to meet him. It was quite strange for me to address someone as "Ge Ge" as first, especially to someone I've never known or met, but now we talk on the phone several times a week and I would write him letters or postcard of the beautiful BC. Perhaps one day I can bribe him to come visit Vancouver, BC!
Now, I'm just working really really hard so I can make lots and lots of money. Then I can plan my next trip to Shanghai again.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home